Songkhla Field School 1


I'd actually written this while I was in Songkhla.
It was for the purpose of our sharing session, 5 mins each person so I'd to write it out in a paragraph.
Now I would like to throw this paragraph up to the blog to share with you guys before I could actually sit down and blog for the whole Songkhla Field School Trip. :D
So here it is :)


Food Tour, Nang Ngarm Road.

This was happened during the mapping exercise activity. Each group was assigned to a particular road in Songkhla Old Town to collect information about that road. 
I was doing Nang Ngam Road. At first we all felt so tired and boring walking under the hot sun but then after that we found it interesting walking along the street because it was so happening as it has temples, school and also a lot of foods that we’ve never seen before. 
The locals are so friendly. When we wanted to interview them to get information about their food or products, they will offer us some food and take photo with us. Even though they can’t really speak English or Chinese, they still try to explain and talk to us. 
They make me feel very comfortable and can easily blend in with them. 

By trying more local food we can know more deeply into the culture of a place. At the same time we can compare the food here with our own country. 
For example, Cha Yen is very famous in Thailand. It actually same as Teh Ice in Malaysia. 
However, Cha Yen in Thailand is way sweeter than the one in Malaysia. 
Initially we thought that we bought from wrong stall but then after we tried out a few different stalls then we realized that it is really sweet in that way. 
Besides,we also realized that there is always sugar prepared on the table, which we can rarely seen in Malaysia or Singapore. 
I guess Songkhla people like to eat sweet sweet thing haha.

Other than that, we also tried out some snacks for example glutinous rice, coconut sweet. 
One thing I found very interesting is that most of the snacks that sell along Nang Ngam Road are handmade which is now can be hardly found in the city. 
I think this is one of the precious things in Songkhla that should be kept for next generation. The snacks are so fresh and don’t have any preservatives. 
That time we decided to buy home but sadly we can’t because it only last for 3 days.


What did I get through the food tour is that food is very important for us not only to make us to stay alive, not only showing the identity of the place, food actually connects people. 
For example like while we do mapping exercise, we need to identify the nodes and we found out that most of the restaurants and cafes are nodes of the places. 
People come to eat at the same time chat with friends or the shop owner. 
Their life is just simple as that. No fighting, you sell your products I sell my food, lunch time they will sit together and talk happily. 
These are things that we couldn’t see in the city anymore which I think it is very important. 

I think what did I learnt from this food tour is how Songkhla people live peacefully. 
Everyone in this small town is so humble and they can just give a bright smile to anyone they see. 
I think this is what we should learn and appreciate. 


some of the food we tasted in Songkhla and KlongDaen.


people who brought me joy and happiness along the whole trip. 
how i wish i can go back in time T^T




1 comments